Monday, August 11, 2014

Unforgivable Curses

It's shameful, it's unforgivable, it's purely selfish, it's evil.

     How do you explain that something so taboo is starting to make real sense now.I don't know that you can, unless that person or those people have already begun thinking through those same thoughts as well.  We go through life, learning and experiencing all of these thing, and sometimes we forget that not everyone is on the same timeline.  There are those far wiser, and have been where we are.  There are those so young to the world that they haven't even had a chance to properly live yet.  It's funny, I can't remember the exact day I realized that my feelings on the right or wrongness of a subject didn't actually make it so.
     For all of the failings of interpretive people, God truly is the one answer that makes any sense.  I tried to tell him that he was making too many fragile concepts into the deities that they were not.  God should not be money, intelligence, love, or any other finite things that slip so easily between our fingers.  This conversation becomes even more difficult to relive after I have realized that he had become an unintentional demigod of my own; even the self-aware make mistakes.  For all of my conscious effort not to latch onto things that are finite, it had happened before I had even known enough to consider the consequences.
     In this time, with these people, what do we have?  Do I now find myself surrounded by mortal demigods of my own creation?  Why couldn't I have just put my faith into the benevolent Christian God we were taught of in our youth?  That God does not die.  I think that, in the end, when the black curtain falls over our eyes for the last time, we breathe our last breath... it's probably invaluably more comforting to have that faith in a God that probably doesn't exist.
    So I think I finally get why some people ever come around to casting one of the unforgivable curses on themselves.  There are those that the word depressed doesn't accurately describe.  The better word, I believe, is "hopeless".  It never made sense to me before, but it now seems so much more clear: a person can have no desire to die, yet still manage to intentionally kill themself.  This world is too much madness, this world is too much hate, this world is too much selfishness, this world just isn't worth it.  Maybe mental illness isn't a precursor for suicide, maybe mental illness is the Darwinian explanation for why we have such a hard time with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment