Thursday, November 10, 2016

This is what I believe.

     Yesterday, when I said that it didn't matter who was a elected, I may have been full of shit.  All of those other reasons for anxiety were still real, and maybe I thought that it didn't matter to me at the time, but I can definitely feel how much it matters today.  Our fellow Americans have elected both a president and a congress that do not represent any of my values.  It's a gut punch.
     Thinking about this sudden bit of total disillusionment has me feeling like giving outspoken communication a try.  I'm not sure what people think that I feel about any worthwhile topic, but I think it might be time for me to tell them.  Could I?  Would I? Put my beliefs in a Facebook post for all to read?  Maybe.  The first step is writing said thing, and so that shall happen here.

______

     For most of my social media life, I've tried to veer safely away from anything that's not family, fun, or friend related.  For me, social media has always been about entertainment and staying in touch.  People who are my friends or followers already know how I feel about certain topics, don't they?  Maybe, Maybe not.  In any case, I would like to share my beliefs.

I understand that not everybody believes what I believe, but that's one of the awesome parts about living in this country and serving in it's military, especially on this Veteran's day.  We happily serve(d) side-by-side each other, regardless of whether or not we agree(d) with the other person's beliefs.


I believe that any sentence beginning with the words "I believe" is nothing more than an opinion, and opinions are often wrong.

I believe that it's possible to simultaneously both "support the troops" and disagree with the war they are fighting.

I believe that the USA was founded on hard work, immigration, and innovation.  Innovation is fostered by education and collaboration.

I believe that everyone should have access to higher education without the burden of a house payment sized loan.

I believe that hard work does does not guarantee a high quality finish nor does it necessarily deserve a high volume of payment.

I believe in equality.  Everyone should be treated with the same amount of human dignity, respect, and opportunity, regardless of their sex, race, sexual orientation, or religious beliefs.

I believe that regardless of whether or not Global Climate Change is real, we are polluting our planet and destroying it's biodiversity.

I believe that Americans are exceptional consumers, myself included.

I believe in social programs that support members of our society that are in need of support, even if that means higher taxes.

I believe that many Americans value their 2nd Amendment rights more than any other right.

I believe that the NRA (National Rifle Association) is very good at what it does.

I believe that due process is nearly impossible when proper legal representation is largely decided by how much money you have to spend on it.

I believe that our Justice system is far too broken to allow the death penalty in any state.

I believe that the correctional system assists with creating a cycle of repeat offenders.

I believe that Gerrymandering is real and that it's a problem.

I believe in the separation of church and state, but I also understand how difficult that truly is.

I believe in what the Bible teaches, not what the words say.

I believe that the ends do not always justify the means and that the means are just as important, if not more so, than the ends.

I believe that any sentence beginning with the words "I believe" is nothing more than an opinion, and opinions are often wrong.




No comments:

Post a Comment