Tuesday, February 24, 2015

New Muses

            In the business of writing, there is a saying that may or may not exist that I may or may not have just made up.

“Some writers write when they can, other writers write when they can’t.”

Reading this might give the initial impression that I or the proverbial “they” think that writers make time to write even when they have none.  The actual meaning is that writers are writing even when no ink hits the page or letters funnel into the word processor. 
            A great friend came to visit over this past weekend and it was nothing short of awesome.  Much needed vacation time was had by me, great conversation was experienced by us, and inspiration was aboundly all aroundly.  Never mind that I wasn’t able to write a single page of anything, I may not have written anything if he hadn’t been here.  The only thing I know for sure is that without him, I wouldn’t have gotten the ideas and inspiration that I’m now planning out in my head.
            One of the biggest challenges in undertaking large novel and novel-like projects is in fighting the urge to become a shut-in.  Sure, being alone in the basement may provide much needed time and space for writing the thoughts plotting about in your brain, but it does little in terms of raw inspiration.  Could I write something without the raw inspiration?  Of course, but it wouldn’t be nearly as interesting as this one will be.

            Bob issued me a single challenge, to write in a style that I have not attempted before.  Challenge accepted.  It’s going to be exciting, it’s going to be new.  Yes, I’m going to finish telling my personal Starchildren story, but as Bob would say, shit’s about to get real.

No comments:

Post a Comment