Wednesday, February 4, 2015

As a Hobby


      The problem with writing as a hobby is that writing is always limited to the same time constraints of other hobbies. Free time in the adult world is often stretched between several different ideas and often all at the same time. Not too long ago, I was one of those many people out there who believes that human-beings can multitask themselves into successful ventures. Countless years of near fruitless ventures have taught me that if you want to do somethings well, you should probably just do them one at a time.
      For the first book, I often found myself locked in the basement of a mancave that I call my creative space. Hours would go by with myself and my computer, working plot point to plot point with little else on my mind. Truthfully, I did have the tv on… but it was always one of the tv shows or movies that I’ve seen so many times that I can recite the lines at will. Why have anything on at all? One might ask. Because some movies(Inception) and tv shows(Stargate Universe) can serve the same purpose as a scented candle or low volumed classical music. We all have our inspirations, we just have to be careful that they aren’t distractions as well!
      Another thing about writing as a hobby is that it’s one of those things most people don’t really understand. A lot of people write, but not many of the people I know are actually writing with a purpose. So when I say that I want to spend the day writing, it can come off as more of an excuse than a goal-oriented project. Sitting in the basement writing is not a day of nothing, it’s a day of catching up! Seriously, it’s like a wood working project or rebuilding an engine, it just doesn’t get that same kind of respect.  This may be why “Write a novel” is one of the many unfinished bucket list goals for so many people.  Everyone knows that anyone can do it, so why extend the support people need in order for them to get it done properly.
      I made a huge sacrifice in choosing to grammatically illustrate my first book with the plot points and character references I did. After it was published, I wanted nothing better than to stand on the roof tops and scream out to the world that it was done and that I had done it! Instead, locked myself in a room with a few of my closest friends and yelled as loudly as was socially responsible. Someday I’ll have a book that can be screamed, but this way is actually pretty cool too.

No comments:

Post a Comment